Posted by on April 24, 2011 · Leave a Comment
In my previous post for Self Publishers, I mentioned having a written
business action plan to follow. Here’s an outline and step by step
process to follow:
1. Proofread entire manuscript and all other created content.
2. Develop interior graphic design and page layout.
3. Identify short list of potential reviewers and testimonial providers.
4. Create 1-3 chapter digital. Send to reviewers and testimonial providers.
5. Obtain book reviews and testimonials to be used for promotion and back cover copy.
6. Create “front matter” pages (i.e. title page, copyright page, table of contents,
testimonial page, dedication page, acknowledgement page, etc.).
7. Design front and back cover, and create back cover copy.
8. Obtain and assign your ISBN.
9. Create a trade-ready EAN Bookland Barcode for back cover.
10. Register book with Books-in-Print. Obtain CIP data
11. Obtain copyright registration.
12. Select book printer/binder to complete all printing and binding requirements.
13. Create and proof digital galley.
14. Create and proof print galley (optional).
15. Determine quantity for initial run (include initial sales projection and promotional copies).
16. Select book launch date.
17. Identify who distribute your book and what those duties will include.
18. Identify relevant book award contests that could be applied for.
19. Identify/schedule book signings, public speaking engagements and other promotional activities.
20. Determine what advertising and PR support will be needed and who will provide those services.
21. Determine who will manage book inventory, order processing, and order fulfillment and what those
services will consist of.